There's a neon light ablaze
in this green smoky haze
laughter down on Elizabeth Street

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I want to ride my bicycle.


I don't know if you know this about me, but I yearn to be car-free. Maybe it's because my driving skills are under constant scrutiny (I've only driven onto a lawn once and have hit two fences-does that make me a bad driver?!) or maybe it's because I cussing hate spending money on gas. It makes my blood boil. I also hate how having a car makes me even more messy than I already am. It's another thing to clean and I don't like cleaning, therefore my car is a mess. I still haven't fully unpacked my car from Christmas break either. If there were an efficient train from Auburn (or ATL) to Charleston I would be forced to unpack! Well, I probably still wouldn't unpack the suitcase because I still haven't done that either.

Anyway, I really want to live in a city where my primary mode of transportation is the amazing bicycle. First of all I'd be in much better shape, second of all I'd be saving a TON of money. I was able to achieve this lifestyle in a somewhat limited fashion by living on Daniel Island, but Daniel Island is NOT a city and they have failed to create a good urban fabric and has very few establishments worth frequenting. I'd have been much happier living in downtown Charleston, but the bank account did not allow that and I wouldn't have had the distinct pleasure of living with Millie and Sully. I just want to be in a city with my bicycle! And I don't just want one bike, I want a whole fleet of bikes. There are just too many cool ones out there to choose only one. I could have one like this (and I'd get to build it myself, even cooler) and all of these.

So, one day when I'm rich I'll have all of these bikes and I'll travel around the world with a bike like David Byrne.bicycle-diaries-book-front.jpg
Exceptional picture of the Talking Heads frontman, no? Consequently, also a great read. Yes William, I have your copy.

All in all, I think people that ride bikes are a lot cooler than those that don't. Since I currently only ride my bike on the farm that doesn't really make me cool in my book, but I don't think I'll be cool even if I do ride my bike around my ideal city. Inevitably my klutziness will prevail and I will run into a sign/tree or car or pedestrian. Two out of the three have already happened to me, by the way. When this happens any aspirations of being "cool" will immediately be thrown out of the window and I'll just be an injured loser...much like my present state.

A video that combines bikes with my other love, beer, is seen here. Maybe my ideal city is Fort Collins? Thoughts?

Or, I could live in one of these cities.

Finally I leave you with a quote from Gang Gang: "I just can't understand them because they're speaking British." Yes, British is a foreign language. I'm sorry the film, The Queen, did not have subtitles for you.

Bye.

4 comments:

  1. post a link on your facebook profile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with absolutely everything you just wrote. love it! my vote is between Anywhere, China haha and Davis, CA because it's close to San Fran...love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pearls! China is out. Davis could be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fort Collins would fit the bill. It is awesome. I got a townie last year for my anniversary and it is my favorite. Unfortunately, besides the beach, I don't really live in a super bike friendly community.

    ReplyDelete