There's a neon light ablaze
in this green smoky haze
laughter down on Elizabeth Street

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Time Traveler

So, sometimes my phone likes to play this little game of "Let's mess with Lizzie's head" and it thinks it's about 4 hours earlier than it really is. Not only that, it thinks it's January 2000!!
Umm, excuse me, iphone? You haven't even been invented yet in the year 2000. Why must you travel back to such a date?! I didn't even have a cell phone in 2000.

Anyway, I started thinking maybe my phone is sending me a message to think back on what I was like and what I was doing in January 2000. And then I remembered. That was not a happy time in my life. Why can't it go back to say, June/July 2006 when I was frolicking the streets of Florence, drinking copious amounts of wine and eating my weight in pasta and panini's?! NOOOO, it has to go back to a time when the only thing I was ingesting copious amounts of was prozac! Yes, you guessed it, or maybe you didn't, January 2000 marks the beginning of my extended stay at the venerable Silver Hill Hospital. Like I said, not a happy time in my life. I did learn a lot though....prior to January 2000 I didn't know a schizophrenic or really what that meant. Thankfully, I have had the privilege of listening to old ladies scream about crows being in their shower and thus not showering. That was a treat. Let me tell you, if you ever have the chance to live with a schizo, do it. It will make you feel VERY sane. I also had the distinct pleasure of really knowing what OCD is like. I had one roommate who was obsessive over toothbrushes. I would go into the bathroom at night to brush my teeth (being watched over by a nurse, I might add) and my toothbrush would be gone! Inevitably it would be in this lunatic's drawer. What the underlying issues behind stealing toothbrushes was, I'll never know.
There are some other fond memories, but I don't want to freak anyone out too much. I'm sure you're sufficiently scared of me now. And I'm gonna go ahead and say, I'm okay with that.
Maybe my phone likes the countryside of Connecticut better than the urbanism of Italia. If that's the case, my phone and I need to have a talk.
Silver Hill-Pretty outside, scary inside.

Now this is just all around perfection:
Florence, Italy-street vendors outside the San Lorenzo

You can't tell from this photo, but you can imagine...me sitting in an outdoor cafe, sipping the best red wine 5 euros can buy and eating the most decadent basil, mozz and tomato panini you've ever had in your life. Finished off with a nice shot of espresso. And just think, six years earlier I was sharing a room with the toothbrush thief...


bye/ciao. 

2 comments:

  1. A#1...not scared of you. I already knew all of that. I am more scared of your flatulence. B#2...Italia may be the best place on earth.

    ReplyDelete